The 3rd APRS is a key regional event which brings together government, business, civil society and the research community to catalyze practical forestry action to help achieve sustainable development in the region.
Themed “Protecting Forests and People, Supporting Economic Growth” APRS will provide the opportunity for countries from across the region to showcase their work on balancing economics, well being of forest communities and conservation.
The 3rd APRS will focus on crucial areas for action, including:
- Restoring degraded landscapes and protecting high conservation value forests.
- Formulating national policies that reduce rainforest loss, support sustainable economic development and work towards the milestones set during the Paris Climate Change Agreement and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Increasing the knowledge, understanding and conservation of the region’s biodiversity, threatened species and watersheds.
- Enhancing collaboration with international partners to strengthen forest governance and promote legal timber.
- Building national systems to measure and monitor forest resources to facilitate future participation in REDD+.
The 2018 APRS will build on the success of the 2016 APRS held in Brunei Darussalam and the 2014 Summit held in Sydney, Australia, and will continue the international dialogue on forestry in the region.